By Pierre Rosanvallon,Arthur Goldhammer
Read or Download Counter-Democracy: Politics in an Age of Distrust (The Seeley Lectures) PDF
Best practical politics books
In Transparency and Authoritarian Rule in Southeast Asia, Rodan rejects the suggestion that the 1997-98 Asian monetary drawback was once additional facts that finally capitalism can in basic terms increase inside of liberal social and political associations, and that new expertise inevitably undermines authoritarian keep watch over.
This e-book illuminates sleek political expertise, reading very important applied sciences, businesses, and other people; placing contemporary concepts into old context; and describing the prospective destiny makes use of of know-how in electoral politics.
Few may have imagined the advancements and the level of reforms that happened below Spanish major Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero among 2004 and 2008. lower than Zapatero, Spain speedily withdrew Spanish troops from Iraq, held a truly public political debate at the Spanish Civil conflict and the Franco dictatorship, handed very innovative social laws that included homosexual marriage and adoption as good as a sweeping gender equality act, and accelerated autonomy in six of Spain’s 17 areas.
Within the final decade, observers of Western governments became more and more concerned with an obvious situation of democracy. They argue that endemic corruption, insufficient companies, and extending voter disaffection have produced a dire consequence: an international resurgence of authoritarianism. The political weather surrounding the 2016 presidential election within the usa has simply strengthened the conception of democratic hindrance.
- The Assault on Social Policy
- Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents: Volume 1 Paperback (Select Works of Edmund Burke)
- Yorùbá Elites and Ethnic Politics in Nigeria: Ọbáfemi Awólowo and Corporate Agency
- True Enough: Learning to Live in a Post-Fact Society
- Japan in Crisis: What Will It Take for Japan to Rise Again? (Asan-Palgrave Macmillan Series)
- White-Collar Government: The Hidden Role of Class in Economic Policy Making (Chicago Studies in American Politics)
Additional info for Counter-Democracy: Politics in an Age of Distrust (The Seeley Lectures)