By Alan Collins
This e-book encompasses a selection of state-of-the-art chapters that discover quite a few connections among city dwelling, sexuality and sexual wish worldwide. the most important issues featured deal with a couple of topical concerns including:
- the controversies and debates raging round the evolution, defining styles and applicable rules of industrial intercourse zones and markets within the city landscape
- how homosexual public areas, districts and 'gay villages' emerged and constructed in quite a few cities and towns round the world
- how altering attitudes to, and using city sexual areas, as depicted in iconic tv sequence corresponding to Sex and the City and Queer as Folk, mirror the truth of operating women's or homosexual men's altering lifestyles experiences.
With designated case experiences, and a powerful interdisciplinary attraction, this e-book should be a useful reference for postgraduates and complex scholars within the fields of cultural reports in addition to human, city and social geography.
This e-book used to be formerly released as a unique factor of the magazine Urban Studies.
Read Online or Download Cities of Pleasure: Sex and the Urban Socialscape (Urban Studies Monographs) PDF
Best psychology of sexuality books
Woman's courting with Herself explores the connection ladies have with themselves and demonstrates how this courting is frequently ruled by way of debilitating practices of self-surveillance. using Foucault's inspiration of panoptical strength, Helen O'Grady illuminates the hyperlink among this sort of self-surveillance and the wider mechanisms of social keep watch over, arguing that those destructive practices hinder girls from having fun with a lovely, maintaining dating with themselves.
Incorporating the voices and insights of highway intercourse staff via own interviews, this monograph argues that the fabric stipulations of many road employees — the actual environments they stay in and their results at the staff’ our bodies, identities, and spirits — are represented, reproduced, and entrenched within the language surrounding their paintings.
How BDSM can be utilized as a metaphor for black woman sexuality. The Color of Kink explores black women's representations and performances inside American pornography and BDSM (bondage and self-discipline, domination and submission, and sadism and masochism) from the Nineteen Thirties to the current, revealing the ways that they illustrate a posh and contradictory negotiation of discomfort, excitement, and gear for black girls.
Grounded in state of the art qualitative study, Trans and Sexuality explores the sexuality of people that don't determine with the gender that they have been assigned at delivery. Arguing that while splitting contributors of the trans group into designated teams may appear like an inexpensive theoretical technique, the pervasive assumption that team club affects at the sexuality of trans humans has unduly biased critiques during this hugely contested, but dramatically under-researched sector.
- Being Transgender: What You Should Know
- The Age of Scientific Sexism: How Evolutionary Psychology Promotes Gender Profiling and Fans the Battle of the Sexes
- Censoring Sex: A Historical Journey Through American Media
- Sex, Death, and the Superego: Experiences in Psychoanalysis
- The Makings of a Modern Epidemic: Endometriosis, Gender and Politics
- Sexuality in a Changing China: Young Women, Sex and Intimate Relations in the Reform Period (Routledge Research on Gender in Asia Series)
Extra info for Cities of Pleasure: Sex and the Urban Socialscape (Urban Studies Monographs)